Me, me, me, me, me...


I recently stumbled across an article on CNN.com: The 12 Most Annoying Types ofFacebookers, and according to that article, I fall solidly into at least one of the 12 categories, that being The Self-promoter category. According to Brandon Griggs, the gentleman who wrote the CNN article, he understands that the occasional self promotion naturally occurs, “But when almost EVERY update is a link to your blog, your poetry reading, your 10k results or your art show, you sound like a bragger or a self-centered careerist.” 

And now I’m feeling like a bit of an ass for the self-promotion of my new book on facebook, and I actually feel the need to explain myself to Mr. Griggs. I would start by telling Mr. Griggs that I hate my birthday because I don’t like bringing undue attention to myself. It makes me very uncomfortable. I would explain to him that I love writing, and to be honest, I love the very minimal recognition I do get for my writing, but a huge drawback for me is the self-promotion that’s involved in putting my work out there; it goes against my Midwestern sensibilities. 

There was once an editor that I’m pretty sure I annoyed every time I saw him because I was constantly plugging my work, wanting him to publish something of mine. It got to the point where I felt like I needed to apologize to him, and one evening I did. He very graciously said, “I totally understand. Don’t feel bad. If you don’t promote your writing, no one else will.” And it is with that attitude that I’ve approached this whole writing/self promotion thing despite it going against my grain.

I know it’s a brief post Mr. Griggs, but I hope it explains why I find myself on your most annoying facebooker list.